To be considered for this major, all of the preparatory courses listed here must be completed by the spring before transfer.
- one course in microeconomics 
- one course in macroeconomics 
- two courses in calculus (from the math/physical science sequence) 
- one advanced course in English composition
- A score of 4 or higher on the AP Microeconomics exam can be used in place of the microeconomics course.
- A score of 4 or higher on the AP Macroeconomics exam can be used in place of the macroeconomics course.
- A score of 5 on the AP Calculus AB exam or 4 on the BC exam can be used in place of the first calculus course.
A score of 5 on the AP Calculus BC exam can be used in place of both calculus courses.
* Demand for this major significantly exceeds space available. You must be admitted directly into this major; you will not be able to change to this major after admission to UCLA. Students are classified as Pre-Economics until they complete the preparation courses at UCLA.
back to L&S major preparation listing