Applying for Admission
Who can apply
UCLA accepts applications from first-time freshmen and junior-level transfer students.
Who is a first-time freshman?
You are considered a first-time freshman applicant for admission purposes if:
- you are still in high school, or
- you have graduated from high school but have not enrolled in a regular session at any college or university. You cannot disregard your college record and apply as a freshman.
If you plan to attend a college summer session immediately after graduating from high school or have completed college work while in high school, the University still considers you a freshman applicant.
Who is a junior-level transfer student?
- You are a transfer student if you graduated from high school and enrolled in a regular session at any college or university since your high school graduation. You cannot disregard your college record and apply as a freshman.
- To be considered junior level you must have completed 60-86 semester units (90-129 quarter units) by the end of the spring term before you transfer to UCLA.
UCLA does not accept applications from students seeking second baccalaureate degrees.
Admission to UCLA is highly selective, as we receive far more applications from qualified students than we can accommodate. For detailed information about the freshman and transfer admission processes, refer to our pages on Freshman Admission and Transfer Admission criteria. We also recommend that you discuss your academic program with your high school or college counselor.
UCLA is on the quarter term system with regular sessions in the fall, winter, and spring.
Fall Quarter (September - December)
- UCLA is open to new students in most undergraduate programs. The application filing period for November 1-30.
UC Application Site
The application for Fall Quarter 2015 is now available.
Winter Quarter (January - March)
- UCLA is not open to new applicants for the winter quarter.
Spring Quarter (March - June)
- UCLA is not open to new applicants for the spring quarter.
- UCLA does not offer an early decision option.
File a University of California Application for Admission and Scholarships. Use one application to apply to up to 9 UC campuses.